Policy Press are proud to offer a range of Open Access options for our authors across books and journals. If you have specific requirements or can't find an answer to your question here, please email us.
- Visibility & impact: Open access makes your research more widely and easily visible to researchers, practitioners and policy makers.
- Usage: A number of studies and reports have shown that open access journal articles are viewed more often than articles available only to subscribers (See for example, this RCT published in the BMJ, or this report published by the Research Information Network).
- Collaboration: Open access publication fosters greater dialogue across disciplinary and geographical boundaries.
- Social Justice: Open access reduces inequalities in access to knowledge due to lack of institutional funding.
Please note we are unable to process refunds for Article Processing Charges, including in the event of article retraction or later removal. We do, however, ensure that Policy Press does not charge twice for the same article, and will fully refund an APC in the event of duplicate payment.
For more information on the Gold Open Access option, please read our FAQ document.
Article Processing Charges (APCs) for Gold Open Access
|Criteria||Article Processing Charge||Discount|
|Standard APC||£1500 + VAT||0%|
|Author from institution subscribing to the Policy Press Collection or Mix & Match 7 Policy Press Journals||£1200 + VAT||20%|
|Author from a Policy Press Journal Editorial Board||£1200 + VAT||20%|
|First author from country in Medium Human Development category of UN HDI||£750 + VAT||50%|
|First author from country in Low Human Development category of UN HDI||£0||100%|
Return to journals pages.
Gold open access monographs
• produced with high-quality design and typesetting
Availability, marketing and distribution
Availability will initially be through the established OAPEN Library in ePDF format. As other platforms develop we will investigate them to ensure the maximum possible availability and discoverability of content.
Our recommended licence is CC-BY-NC but all other Creative Commons’ licences are available on request.
Costs for Gold Open Access
Our open access monograph offering is a gold route to OA dissemination that requires payment of a publishing charge to cover publication costs. Our charges are dependent on page length as follows:
|Shorts: 20-45K words||£6000|
|Shorts: 50K + words||£7500|
|Monographs: 60-90K words||£9000|
|Monographs: 95-120K words||£11000|
To discuss all available options please contact the appropriate commissioning editor for your discipline. Information can be found on our contact us and subject area pages or you can contact Assistant Director Julia Mortimer (email@example.com) for any generic queries.
The ePDF version will be free to access for all. Print copies will be available on demand for those who wish to purchase the research in hardcopy as well as Kindle and epub versions for use on reading devices.
Open access titles
We are delighted to have published our first gold open access monograph - Rethinking sustainable cities by David Simon - which is now available in EPDF version for anyone to read via the OAPEN website.